Monday, December 1, 2008

Tis The Season

Once again we enter the month that holds such meaning, not only as the culmination of the last year but as a time to celebrate the blessings of family, friends, and God incarnate. Things become so busy in these days that it's easy to allow purpose to fall by the wayside as life turns into a hectic dash towards the 25th. The challenge for all of us is to not just say that Jesus is the reason for the season or that we're keeping Christ in Christmas (both somewhat hokey although with good sentiment) but to really live our lives in that manner.

As I enter this month with all of its parties and events, my goal is to continually be asking what God wants from me in these days. Where am I to serve, who am I to minister to, what is my heart to be touched by? These questions are ones without easy answers but I believe in a God who delights in directing His kids so I will ask. Over everything in these days though, I hope that my mind is never far from the amazing reality that the holidays center around: God became man, walked among us sinlessly, and went to the cross with the weight of my sin and yours. If all else was to disappear, there is still plenty of hope and love in that sentence alone to sustain us through the darkest of days. That's where I hope my heart rests and I invite you to take time to dwell there too.

I'll leave you with a hymn I recently found based on one of my most favorite passages in Isaiah 9. May it help you remember why we celebrate!

The People That in Darkness Sat
By: John Morison

The people that in darkness sat
A glorious light have seen;
The light has shined on them who long
In shades of death have been.

For unto us a child is born,
To us a son is given,
And on His shoulder ever rests
All power on earth and heaven.

His name shall be the Prince of Peace
Forevermore adored,
The Wonderful, the Counselor,
The great and mighty Lord.

His righteous government and power
Shall over all extend;
On judgment and on justice based,
His reign shall have no end.

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP