Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans

God bless America, land that I love,
Stand beside her, and guide her,
Through the night, with the light from above,
From the mountains, to the prairies
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home,
God bless America! My Home Sweet Home!
~ Irving Berlin

Today marks the 90th anniversary of the culmination of World War I with the signing of the Armistice. Here in America, we note this date as Veterans Day but I suspect that the majority of us will not even pause during this twenty-four hour period to think of the brave men and women who have given up so much for us to have the opportunity today to live and work and worship in freedom. I have definitely missed this day more than once in my life.

As our nation faces new challenges and old threats it seems that we should be ever more mindful of the cost with which our nation's freedom has been bought. Today I want to be reminded of those I've known and the many more that I've never even thought of who have bravely faced down enemies both foreign and domestic to secure this nation's peace. I want to make sure that this day does not end without offering up a prayer for the safety of those currently serving and thankfulness for those who have done so through the years.

Agree or don't agree with the use of the military throughout history but do not do those who serve the dishonor of implying that they have placed themselves in harms way for anything less than a noble cause. At the very least, as Americans, that cause is you.

There are challenges ahead and while I rest secure in knowing that God is sovereign over all things, I also continually pray for this nation and those who lead it and remain indebted to those who have served and bled and died for the liberties on which this nation was founded. May I be found standing consistently faithful to the God I serve and the nation in which He has placed me.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~ Thomas Paine

1 comment:

Rob said...

In Canada we have this poem, we take it very seriously:

In Flanders fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP