Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Never Alone

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
~ Ephesians 4:4-6

I flew into Chicago today so that I could present some conferences for work. As much as I enjoy travel on the company dollar, when you're jaunting around the country by yourself there are usually moments when you just feel alone. Tonight I had plenty of time to find a place to eat and I'd had a pizza joint recommended so I headed downtown. I found the restaurant and sat down outside in some of the most beautiful November weather you might hope for. As the night settled in and I enjoyed a good meal there was a moment when I just wished for some company; someone with whom to talk and think about the day that I'd had and the thoughts in my head.

Now, I knew I wasn't truly alone because I have friends and family all around the country who care about me and would love to talk to me. However, I just wanted to talk with a person. So, I did what I usually do...I made a plan.

I pulled out my phone and looked up Moody Church which I thought was probably associated with Moody Bible Institute (not really I've learned since) and figured out where they were located. I was in downtown and they were somewhere north of that - probably about two miles or so is my guess now. They had service at 6:45 and it was 6:15 and I decided to hike it and go worship with some fellow believers.

Well, I walked for 45 minutes and finally got to the church at 7. It seemed like they were just starting so I went in and proceeded to enjoy an hour and a half of prayer and teaching (ironically enough about the same things I've been hearing over and over again lately). It wasn't Connection Service at Prestonwood but it was still a blessing because it reminded me that no matter where in the world I might find myself, I can always find people worshiping the Lord. For the record, this is not the first service I've crashed...I've done this in Austin, Austria and London.

Afterwards I was given a ride back to the train by this sweet lady who told me all about Chicago and was just so kind (it's also not the first time I've gotten in a car with a total stranger but that's a much longer story). So I went back to the hotel and settled in to do some work not feeling even the slightest bit alone in this city.

All this to say, God sends people to fill in the cracks in our lives. Some come and stay for a long time and some are just there for an hour or so to remind you that you're not alone. If you find yourself wishing for someone to talk to, take a chance and be the one to reach out. When I do this I usually find that there's a friendly recipient out there and it makes me realize that the body of Christ is not just limited to those I already know! So, my first day in the Windy City is drawing to a close and I'll go to sleep tonight reminded that God is still at work even when I'm far from home and the friendships I'm so blessed with there.

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP