Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Authority

He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
~ Daniel 7:14

Election Day 2008.

So many are worried, so many fear, so many wonder at the future of this country and what is about to transpire at the culmination of this day.

From both sides of the political fence people stress about the economy and safety and the war and so many other things that appear critically important at this moment in time.

I understand the concern and I pray for this nation and the direction that it is headed and I have already cast my vote. I do think this is a critical juncture in history and we must be informed and wise in our decisions. However, my hope does not rest on the outcome of this election. I can worry and fret about who might be sitting in the Oval Office come January or I can step back and remember where real authority and power lies.

Go back to the verse at the top. God is the one who is given the ultimate authority. It's not the president of the United States or any other person placed in power in the world. Every last one of them and every one of us is subject to the authority of God. So instead of worrying over the outcome of this race I am going to support those who appear to more closely support those things that God cares about and then I'm going to remember that He is in control and there's nothing that's going to happen today or any other day to come that is a surprise to Him or that falls outside of His control.

So please, do vote. In doing so though, don't forget that God is ultimately in control and that He is at work regardless of how things may look from this perspective.

One final thing: pray for those elected. The tasks that lie before them are not easy and God has the best access to their hearts and minds so let's commit to being diligent in calling on Him to greatly impact their lives that they might serve Him and not man.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.
~ 2 Chronicles 7:14-15

If you'd like to hear some excellent points, check out what John Piper has to say:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friend... Thanks for sharing that Piper video... Good perspective.

Cody Walton said...

I thought the Piper video was great too. Nice blog... just thought I would do a drive by.

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP