Monday, September 1, 2008

Nothing Compares

Third Day (one of the greatest groups ever) has a song with this chorus:
Nothing compares to the greatness of knowing You, Lord

I love this song but honestly, I find that there is a huge challenge in these lyrics. As I listen to what the words say, the premise is that no matter what we have or experience or succeed at in this life it is all so very insignificant compared with knowing the Lord. Powerful words and such a common theme in most of the songs that are written today and sung around the world in churches and various other venues.

Yet, here's my question: how much do we really believe these words? We'll sing along with great bands and enjoy the lyrics and walk on believing that we've really worshiped the Lord and had intensely spiritual moments. Now, I'm not knocking worship in any way but I wonder how often we completely miss the call that's held within the catchy lyrics.

The basis of this song is that there is absolutely nothing that's better than knowing the Lord. Do we really believe this? Do we live as though it's true? Here's where I get tripped up...do I really live a life where I'm willing to set aside EVERYTHING just for the ability to know and follow Christ? Do I really live as though Jesus is better than money, family, relationships, friends, homes, and everything else? It's not that these things do not have importance but the truth is that God calls us to hold everything loosely and to hold tight only to the fact that He is the one thing worth giving our entire lives for. I suspect that more often than not I'm holding on too tightly to the things of this world and not really living with arms open to the things that God has for me.

Yet again I recognize that I have so far to go on this journey and I won't pretend to really know how this type of life looks when it's lived day to day. So often my humanity seems to get in the way of where I long to be with the Lord. The challenge is big - I am so little. I'll never understand why God continues to work to refine me...I can only hope, yet again, that this is progress in the right direction!

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP