Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Magnificent Obsession

This topic is tied to what I talked about yesterday but I wanted to discuss it again (and since it's my blog, I can!). I listened to Steven Curtis Chapman's song over the weekend and was struck by how much it could describe my life, both where I am today and where I want to be tomorrow.

I find myself so often asking God to explain things or give answers in situations but despite my calling out to Him, I rarely feel as though I'm able to leave behind the complications of this life. However, I have found that if I stop in the midst of questioning and tune in to the reality that God knows all and purposes all and watches over all then suddenly my questions become less critical. It's not that they cease to exist or they don't run through my head at times but the truth is that in those moments I am able to turn away from the confusion and rest in the knowledge of God alone.

I want to be able to sing the chorus of this song and mean it: God is everything I want and need and I want Him to be my one consuming passion. In a world that promises its fair share of brokenness and sorrow, I am ever so thankful that God is someone who I can always return to and be completely lost in and found in at the same time!

Magnificent Obsession
By: Steven Curtis Chapman

Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling
like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You
And I can see again

This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie
me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains

You are everything I want
And You are everything I need
Lord, You are all my heart desires
You are everything to me

You are everything I want
You are everything I need
I want You to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You
I want it all to be for You

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved this song! :o)

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP