Monday, October 20, 2008

Prepared

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet.
~ Ephesians 6:13

On days like today I'm just not quite ready to face what the world has to throw at me. I'm feeling a little weak, a little tired, a little overwhelmed. I relate to the second sentence up there...I can't handle this on my own and today I'm overly aware of this truth.

In the midst though, here's just one of the very many things that I love about God: He tells us to be prepared but then He also tells us how to accomplish it. Reading on in this chapter we see this:

Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.
~ Ephesians 6:14-18

See, I wouldn't know how to be prepared for what's coming against me in future hours. I wouldn't be able to figure out the best defense or the best offense. I can't see around the corners and in my weakness, I don't even have the strength to try. Yet God gives me instructions on where to focus. See, I need to focus on truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation. I need to be in the Word. I need to pray. I can't see the coming challenges but I can follow God's instruction and know that I can be prepared.

How amazing is it that without knowing what will occur, I can know that I have donned the required armor and prepared for the coming battle and that there will be victory when all is said and done. This so takes my mind off the specifics of the battle and reminds me of what I can do. So that's where I'll start. I'm up against more than I can handle but God tells me how to prepare so that's what I'll aim to do. So cool!

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP