Thursday, October 23, 2008

Prayer

I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer.
~ Psalm 17:6

One spiritual discipline that I'm learning more about every day is prayer. I've been challenged through some of the discussions I've had, things I've read, and times that I've spent praying with many dear friends. I am realizing that prayer is truly something that should not be taken lightly as it is a direct connection to the God of the universe. Throughout scripture I see men and women of much greater faith than myself approaching God with powerful, honest, challenging words. I love these testimonies that have been left behind and am forced to look at the way I pray and what my motivation really is when I petition the Lord for things.

I've also had several discussions about the nature of answered prayers and how we are always so quick to look for answers - but so often we only want the answers that we desire. We don't want to hear no when we're looking for yes. We don't want sickness to worsen when we ask for healing. We don't want bankruptcy when we ask for blessing. I'm afraid that we are a people (and I rank along with all) who have forgotten that when we speak to God, we do not determine the outcome of His decisions.

His movement in our lives is still an answer. It may not be what we like, it may be incredibly hard, but it is still an answer from the living God to our lives and situations. I am ever so challenged to give praise for the answers that do not match up to what I desire. An answer that is not what I want is still an answer - still great proof that a holy God is aware of my life and acting in it. If I can not find it in myself to offer praise for this reality then I must seriously question what my view of God really is.

There is so much more that could be said on prayer, so much more that has been said. For today though, I'll leave you to think on your reaction when you request things of God and He doesn't act as you desire. Perhaps you'll be challenged, as I was, to give praise for all of His answers, not just the ones you like.

Closed doors are just as much God's leading as open ones.
~ Charles Swindoll

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP