Saturday, April 19, 2008

God and Boston

It's the end of a long day here in Boston and even though I'm tired and kind of feel every one of my years, I can't help but smile and be thankful that I'm able to be here at all. It's funny to me how much a city can get under your skin and the truth is that Boston has most definitely done this with me. I love the sights, the commotion, the accent, and everything else that makes up this crazy, wonderful city.

Most of all though I love what God is doing here. Today I was in Boston Commons and stood by Park Street Church where I have stood before and I looked up to see the lectern that perched outside the building where the word of the Lord used to be read over the people who went about their days in the streets of old-time Boston. As I saw that empty stand and thought of how people didn't hear the word spoken any longer I was filled only with hope. Hope that one day a man may stand on that metal podium and loudly proclaim the true hope that is found only in Christ. The some day men, women, boys, and girls would have the opportunity yet again to be reminded as they went about their business of the God who created them and sent His Son to rescue them from a fallen world. We might not be there today, in fact we might not even be close to such a day but I honestly believe that God is doing great things here. We may not see them as we stand on the corners and smile while handing out granola bars to strangers but I think that beneath the undercurrent of a busy city life, there is a movement of God.

I would love to someday see His name be made great among the people of Boston but even if that never comes to pass in my lifetime, I rest assured that day by day God is changing the lives of people in such a way that they will never be the same and that someday, He will be worshiped around the earth and that includes a street corner overlooking the Boston Commons. Now that's something to get excited about!

Thanks for your prayers, please carry on as we worship together tomorrow and then continue outreach throughout the city!

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP