Monday, April 16, 2007

Big as the Ocean

For all the times I've been in Boston I've never ventured out to the beach where the ocean meets the land. I've only seen the Atlantic from a distance as I fly over it either coming or going from this city. Today, however, I rode the T (that's Boston talk for the subway system) out to Revere Beach and took in the wonder of the vast sea.

I definitely have a thing about the ocean - I don't necessarily like to swim in it but I love to walk beside it. I guess the reason behind that is because it reminds me of just how very big God is. The ocean goes on forever and God knows everything that's going on within it. There's no building to fence it in and no barrier to keep it out - it just flows on throughout the days.

I think my temptation is sometimes to think that God is just not capable of doing the things that I hope for when I stretch my hopes out from the safe little place I like to stand. I believe with all my heart that God can do anything in the lives of others but I struggle sometimes in believing the same of my life. A walk by the ocean reminds me every time that this God I serve is bigger than I can even begin to imagine and that the things that are important to me remain important to Him.

I'll never begin to understand how a God who made the ocean can look upon me and find me worthwhile but even as I hear the waves crash and look out all the way to an unmarred horizon, I know with all of my heart that He does. This God who made the vast sea cares about me enough to know the number of hairs on my head. This God is one who can exceed my wildest dreams and fulfill my greatest hopes. This God is the one who I gladly serve through all my days knowing that even as one small person, He gives me the ability to make a difference for Him. And that's why I love the ocean - it shows me how great my God is!

"I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth." - Psalm 57:9-11

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP