Sunday, April 15, 2007

Steps of the Saints

I spent the first part of Sunday morning standing in the cold, wet day handing out granola bars to some very surprised folks. I found more people willing to read the card and show appreciation for us being there today than I ever have before. Something about standing in the cold Boston wind makes people think twice about the reason behind you being there.

The second part of the morning was spent in the church service at Hope Fellowship. It was an amazing service with awesome worship and a great message from Curtis. However, the thing that really made me think was the reality that I was standing in the same spot where people have stood for almost 100 years worshipping the same God that they've worshipped over time. Through thick and thin this church on the corner has stayed strong, continuing to preach the Truth, and drawing worshippers to its pews. There is something about walking the path that you know others have travelled before that makes me stop and take notice. It greatly reminds me of the verse at the top of my blog which tells me of all those who witness what we do as we run this race. There are times when I'm just overwhelmed by the fact that my feet are able to grace the same wooden floors that the saints of the past have walked. It's such an encouragement to me to know that I'm running the race that so many others have run in the past and that as I press on I will be able to finish strong for the glory of God.

For those of you who have been to Boston, you know that the sanctuary here isn't spectacular; there are no stained glass windows or shiny wooden pews. The paint is peeling in places that it shouldn't and the floor is worn. However, in this little place, the spirit of God is felt as week after week, year after year, saints new and old gather to worship the one true God and seek His face.

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:13-14

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP