Thursday, May 31, 2007

2-Second Day Brightener

I went to Starbucks today after stopping by the doctor's office to have some blood drawn - I figured I deserved the treat! :)

While I was there I watched no fewer than three customers take their drinks from the barista (so fancy to know what they're called) without so much as a smile, a word, or even eye contact. Now, I know that you might not always find the best humor at a coffee shop prior to consumers receiving their desired product and having found time to consume it. However, when did it become okay to not even see that it was a human being handing out your coveted drink? You would have thought that these people were walking up to a machine and having it dispense their cup o' Joe.

So, my solution to this is to stop wherever you are served by another person and take two seconds, just two, to do the following:

1. Make eye contact.
2. Smile.
3. Say, "Thank You."
4. Say, "Have a good day."

All this can be done in two seconds and I guarantee that not only will the recipient respond favorably, but it will brighten your day too! Think I'm crazy if you will but I challenge you to try it and see if it doesn't just put a smile on your face too.

Also, let's not forget that those who serve us are also those that we're called to serve. Let's not find ourselves not giving them the acknowledgment that they deserve simply for being people that God loves!

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." - Proverbs 12:25

No comments:

Who I Am (Briefly)

In some ways I'm just your average girl making my way through the world. Along the way I've seen love and heartbreak, good times and bad, and found that through it all, my relationship with the Lord is what carries me through. I don't claim to be all that wise but I hope that through my writings, you'll see more of who God is and draw near to Him. So that's me, a little light shining in the darkness, pointing to the One who makes all the difference.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP